Assemble the night before to allow the bread layers time to soak up the savory custard. Then bake in the morning while the coffee brews.
- 6 English muffins
- 6 slices Canadian-style bacon, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- 6 lemon slices (garnish)
- 6 Tbs Chives, chopped (garnish)
- Split muffins; cut into 1-inch pieces. Place 1/2 of the pieces in single layer in greased, 8-inch square baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the bacon. Repeat layers with remaining muffin pieces and bacon.
- Beat eggs, milk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and lemon peel in large bowl until blended. Slowly pour over layers in baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Remove strata from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Bake in center of 350°F oven until puffed, golden, and knife inserted near center comes out clean, 50–60 minutes.
Calories from Fat 115 (36%)
(20%)Total Fat 13g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 32g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
The information presented in Health Notes is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals.