No one said that the tomato in a BLT had to be sliced. In this version, crushed tomatoes form the base for a quick soup.
- 8 slices bacon, crisply-cooked
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can cooked white beans, (cannellini or navy)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Coarsely crumble bacon & set aside. In 2-quart saucepan, stir together tomatoes, broth, beans and seasoning. Bring to a simmer; stir in vinegar. In small bowl, toss together lettuce & basil. Ladle soup into large soup plates or bowls; garnish each serving with crumbled bacon and lettuce & basil.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Serving Suggestion: Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Calories from Fat 79 (33%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
The information presented in Health Notes is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals.